How Much Does Cost To Start A Rabbit Farm in Nigeria? Are you thinking of starting a profitable business in rabbit farming? There’s no better time than now. Now you may be wondering, How much does it cost to start a rabbit farm? Different factors come into play depending on how you want to scale the business.
Is providing quality meat you goal? The good thing about rabbit farming is that, it let’s you provide healthy and tasty meat, while operating on minimal cost. How’s that for a profitable business idea?
Like every other business, rabbit farming will required investment in form of time and monetary funding and in some cases, labor. At the initial stage, you may have to decide if you we be overseeing the activities of your farm yourself or with employed labor .
Although so people raise rabbits as pets, over the years, raising them commercially, can be a very lucrative business. As you may already know, the annual demand of meat has continued to increase, at a rapid rate all over the world.
How Much Does Cost To Start A Rabbit Farm in Nigeria
Even though poultry, beef and pork meat currently support this demand rabbit farming can also help satisfy the increasing demand. Before we dive into how much does it cost to start a rabbit farm, let’s elaborate on some hidden benefits of venturing this business.
What is a rabbit farm?
Rabbit farming, also know as cuniculture, is the practice of rearing domesticated rabbits as micro-livestock for their meat, wool or fur.
Although wool and fur production is very profitable, a lot of Nigerian rabbit farmers do not pay attention to it. It is also important for us to note that rabbit meat is considered the best after that of poultry birds.
When starting off as a rabbit farmer, it is important to note that picking a good breed to start with is of utmost importance to prevent future difficulties.
When it comes to rabbit farming, keeping the environment clean should be one of your main goals. This will help prevent common diseases and health conditions. Let’s not leave out washing and disinfecting their environment.
Advantages of Rabbit Farming
Some businesses provide more benefits than what meets the eye. One of such businesses is rabbit farming. Many know the basic advantages of venturing into this business, but what about the real deal breakers? Only a few actually know. Long story short, in this section, we will be uncovering some amazing benefits of rabbit farming, shall we?
- Do i need to spend a lot to feed my rabbits? You don’t need to spend a lot to feed them. Your rabits can eat kitchen wastes, leaves etc. Since they don’t particularly have a food preference, you don’t need to empty your bank account feeding them.
- Rabbits have a better food converting rate than most other animals.
- A female rabbit usually gives birth 2 to 8 or even 9 kids, every single time. Let’s just say there reproduction rate is good for business.
- The overall production and maintenance costs are lesser, in comparison to bigger animals that may require more infrastructure or operational cost.
- Your family or friends can easily help you out in building a successful farming business. Rabbit farming doesn’t require a lot of labor. So yeah, I may just seem like taking care of your pets.
- No religion goes against the consumption of rabbit meat. Therefore, there are no religious barriers to selling your products.
- Rabbits have rapid growth, this means that you don’t have to wait a low time before they mature. Unlike other livestock options, rabbits are the real deal in terms of growth.
- Is rabbit farming a profitable business? Definitely! When it comes to commercial production, rabbit farming is a great source of earning.
- If providing healthy and nutritious meat to people is your goal, rabbit farming is how to do it. Rabbit farming is making the world a better place using the tool of healthy food.
Just in case you want a broader insight on what rabbits eat, rabbits diet usually include;
- seasonal vegetable
- Green leafy vegetables
- green grass
In addition to providing nutritious feed, supplying them a sufficient amount of fresh water can go a long way in ensuring healthy growth.
How much does it cost to start a Rabbit Farm?
Getting the beginning right is important in ensuring a good and profitable business experience. Among many factors to consider, your startup capital is highly dependent on three very basic but important factors, they include;
- Number of rabbit you want to start with
- The breed of your rabbits
- Buying or building an hutch or rabbit cage.
Getting your business off the ground and completed from start to finish would cost you around 45,000 to 100,000 naira. It should be quite obvious at this point that, this will most likely be the highest you will ever need to spend.
Why so? When you business gets started, little or no amount of money will be spent on feeding or caring for your rabbits. What may start as a small side hustle or family business can turn out to become an amazing source of income.
People are becoming more aware of the need of quality over quantity. The requirement for entering this market is relatively low. Rapid business growth is made even easier with the reproductive nature of rabbits.
Rabbit farming is one of the easiest farming that anyone can start so I can’t really tell you what to start with. What you need to know is that the more your capital is the more your farm will be. Or should we do some estimate? Not now. Look out for my next post where i will talk about all expenses.
Why should you start rabbit farming right now
Are you waiting for the perfect time to start? If you have read this article to this point, the idea of rabbit farming must have really caught your interest. What’s left but to take action? The rabbit farming business is grossly under rated, why? Because, like I said earlier, only a few people actually know what the business model entails.
Well, I suggest you carry out some further research and put your thoughts to action. Because, only actionable thoughts bring results. We all desire results. I may not even be for the money, but what ever it is, it will only come to reality when you put to action, what you know.